Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Desmodromia: Population 1

I decided to create this Blog-a-roo to chronicle my descent into the realm I've dubbed "Desmodromia".

For those who aren't familiar with Ducatis, a man named Fabio Taglioni created what would be called the Desmodromic Valve System for Ducati. This is found on only one motorcycle in the world...the Ducati. The roots of the word 'desmodromic' comes from two greek roots; desmo = controlled or linked and dromos = course or track. It is an utterly brilliant system. The most significant aspect is there are no valve springs. This means no valve float at high RPMs. I will not go into the technical details as there is plenty out there on the World Wide Super Internets Highway. Here's some more detailed info from Wikipedia entry: Desmodromic Valve System. For those who are more visual (like me) here is a fantastic animation of the system found on DucatiDesmo.com: Desmo Valve Animation.

How did I come to fall in love with all that is Ducati? For many years I had been consumed with Alfa Romeos. I owned many and had a passionate relationship with them. My stable included, at one time or another; Milanos, Berlinas and a precious Giulia Ti. These cars are magnificent works of art with their all aluminum blocks, sodium filled exhaust valves, brilliant 4 and 6 cylinder engines, their handling is unmatched for a daily driver, and they want you to drive the crap out of them. My '64 Guilia Ti was more fun to drive than any modern car I have driven. Alfas are beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous. However, after many years of them I felt the call of something else, something different.

It took me time to identify the siren's call. Slowly it came into focus...m-o-t-o-r-c-y-c-l-e. Mo-tor Cy-cle. Get a motorcycle fool! Of course! What else could provide the joy of tearing up open road that wasn't an Alfa. It was time for me to sell my Giulia Ti and buy a bike. I tried to fight it but I gave in. You have to understand how extremely rare and fun this particular Alfa was. It was a freakin' white '64 Ti w/ a 5 speed column shift. Almost considered unobtainium these days. I put it up for sale and within 3 hours it was sold. Done and Done. I could now start my search for a bike. But what kind?

I had owned two motorhogs in the past; a '66 Honda CB 160 and a '87ish Honda CM 450T. I needed something with history, something artful, something designed with love. Something you don't see everyday. While cruising the Internets I ran across a Norton Commando. It was the top contender. Problem was that a solid and well sorted Commando was above my price range. I looked at BSAs, mulled an older BMW which were both within my range but neither excited me as much as the Commando. The Commando is the Swan Song of the British motorcycle industry. Spot on design, glorious racing history and that exhaust note is amazing. I was in no real hurry so I continued to poke around.

After about 1 1/2 years of looking and researching it popped into my head that since I'm familiar with Italian machines I should probably look into an Italian bike. After all, their design (both visually and mechanically) is unmatched in my book. I had also decided that it might be a good idea to get something new, something I didn't have to wrench. I'd had enough years of wrenching; though I enjoyed it I was done.

I looked at Ducatis, Aprillas, MV Agustas but all I saw were modern crotch rockets. Don't think I'm talking smack about them because they are incredible. It's just that the styling isn't my cup of tea. I did however love the design of the old ones. If I could just get a modern Italian bike with a retro design. Hmmmmm...

Cue the Ducati SportClassic Sport 1000. I stumbled across it online and that was it. Game over. I knew that I had to get my hands on one. It was everything I wanted in a bike; modern, good design, Italian, long racing winning racing history, elegant yet brutish and could go like shit off a shovel.

Next installment: Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here!

1 comment:

  1. I added your blog to "my yahoo." I will be able to track your progress easily and with pleasure. Take care buddy! Denny

    ReplyDelete