Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sprockets

Today I ran a bunch of errands on El Duce. Stopped by Sears to buy a pair of jeans at Lloyd Center Mall. As a rule I hate mall parking lots as they tend to be a giant cluster fuck. It's even worse on a bike. The half wits in cars pay absolutely no attention to you. Twice a couple morons almost ran right into me. Seriously people, please pay attention to what you are doing and stop dreaming of the Orange Julius you are going to get after buying your novelty penis trucker hat at Spencer's Gifts.

I also went to REI in search of some thermal pants. Sorry but I'm not paying $60 for a pair of thermals. Kiss my hairy ass REI. My last stop was MotoCorsa to get another tank protector. Don't ask.

MotoCorsa was out of the tank protector I was looking for. While I was there I asked Brad how long it took to put on a 14 tooth sprocket. It ended up they weren't too busy and could put one on while I waited. Brad also suggested I replace the stock grips (which I've wanted to do for a while now) with a set of $15 Super Bike grips. The sprocket was about $45. Cheap.

I hung out, had coffee and shot the shit with the crew. All and all it took about 30 minutes. Let me just say that those two simple and cheap upgrades has completely changed the nature of the bike. It is much quicker and more civilized. The 14 tooth sprocket keeps the engine where it is supposed to be. It gives it a lighter more nimble feel. The new grips provide more comfort and better feedback.

If you have a Sport Classic and have not yet changed to a 14 tooth sprocket do it now. It's the best bang for buck on a performance upgrade on these bikes. 6th gear will actually become usable. Before the swap 6th gear was pretty much unusable even on the freeway. There is now less of a brute force thing going on. It is much more free revving, which I expect from an Italian engine. Everything now comes together in an nice, elegant Italian package. It's right in the pocket w/ the 14 tooth.

Can't wait to ride tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. My suggestion is that you get one of those handy-dandy "worker vests" that come in a bright orange or yellow color, available at home depot. It might look and feel silly when you first put it on over your gear, but I swear to God (whomever or whatever your equivalent might be) that in city conditions, you will notice that you suddenly have an additional 10-15 feet of space around you- even in mall parking lots.

    otherwise... i know you sent me an email some time ago, asking for input on a trip that you wanted to take, but i can_not, for the likes of me find it. I've been thinking about it for, seemingly, months now... so it's long over due. you wouldn't happen to have a copy of it that you could forward to me again, do you?

    myles.blackwood at gmail

    hope you're well. I'm changing the oil pan gasket, oil and filters on my bike today. new, custom, starter is on its way to my home in Santa Cruz. longing to ride a long ride- soon.

    ReplyDelete